SPICY SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
This recipe was inspired by our long-standing customer Caroline.
A real treat, and a one pot meal for those chilly autumn nights that saves on the washing up!!
- 1lb of Intwood farm SPICY JUMBO SAUSAGES
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil (try Hill Farm Rapeseed oil)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup (try Mrs Darlington’s)
- 1 large red onion peeled and sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 sweet pepper (yellow best, but any colour will work)
- 2 medium sized carrots cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 250ml hot water
- Heat the oven to 175°C or gas mark 5
- Heat the oil, in a cast iron casserole dish or large oven proof saucepan. Brown the sausages in the oil then remove from the pan and cut in half (put the sausages to one side for use later in the process).
- Place the onions, carrots, peppers and garlic into the pan and lightly fry until the onions begin to soften.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (EXCEPT THE CORN FLOUR AND SAUSAGES) remembering to drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add in the browned sausages.
- Place a lid on the cooking pot and transfer to the oven to cook for one hour.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the cornflour. (NOTE the cornflour needs to be “creamed” with a tablespoon full of water prior to adding to the pot) and bring back to the boil on the hob.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You are now ready to serve maybe with rice or crusty bread.